The London houses of the Percy family - and a link to Shakespeare!
"The Percies, it is true, did not build the house, nor was it their first abode in
London. Stow mentions two others occupied by this family, before they obtained possession of
their Strand tenement, as of many other fair property, by marriage.
The first was in the parish of St. Anne's, close to Aldersgate, which in Strype's days had
become degraded into a tavern. It was inhabited by Henry Percy (Hotspur) before it was
forfeited to Henry IV., who bestowed it upon his wife, Queen Jane, as her "wardrobe."
Another Northumberland House was in the parish of St. Katherine Colman, on the south side of
Fenchurch Street, the memory of which still survives in Northumberland Alley. This belonged
to Henry, the third Earl of Northumberland, in the reign of Henry VI.; and after his time it
became converted into a gambling-house, and its gardens into bowling-alleys.
A third Northumberland House, occupied by Henry, the ninth earl, was in
the Blackfriars, in a house abutting on the property of William Shakespeare.
The Northumberland House which forms the subject of this chapter, was, at the time of its
removal, at the close of 1874, the very last relic of all the noble mansions and palaces
which, in the seventeenth century, adorned the river-front of the Strand. It may therefore
be well to enter into a more elaborate description of it."
The Percy family
Henry Percy...did he write
home or index